Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Runcore 32GB SSD Benchmarking stats

Here's a link to the SSD I purchased from My Digital Discount a few weeks ago for my new Dell Mini 9.

A fellow twitterer @donikatz asked if I'd benchmark the SSD, and I decide to post the 'full' results here, since they're a bit longer than 140 characters.

I did some searching around for a program that runs on Linux that would do the job for me and I came up with bonnie++. Running the program and collecting the results was simple and painless.

The first run stats didn't wow me, so I decided to run it again to see if I'd get different results, which I did, and the second run results were more in line with the SSDs' 'advertised performance'.

I couldn't sort out the formatting for this text, so here's a screenshot of the data (click on the pic to enlarge it):



I went ahead and converted the numbers from (K) to (M) to make them easier to look 'digest'.

1st runs' summary:
Writes Chr - 3.76 M/Sec
Writes Blk - 14.41 M/Sec *
Rewrt - 11.43 M/Sec
Read Chr - 5.73 M/Sec
Read Blk - 68.73 M/Sec *

2nd runs' summary:
Writes Chr - 9.08 M/Sec
Writes Blk - 30.67 M/Sec *
Rewrt - 12.87 M/Sec
Read Chr - 11.32 M/Sec
Read Blk - 73.39 M/Sec *

My Digital Discount lists the read/write stats as:
Sustain Read Speed up to 78MB/s
Sustain Write Speed up to 44MB/s

That's a bit more than my 73 & 30, but still pretty good.

I haven't had a chance to really use the SSD yet, but from 'real world' experience with it so far, it seems a whole lot peppier than the original 8 GB that came with the Dell Mini 9. I didn't time it, but it certainly boots faster, shuts down faster, programs seem to open quicker, and copying files to/from flash drives seems quite fast as well.

All in all I'd have to say that I'm very happy with my purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment